Saturday, June 14, 2008

A book review

The Kept Man by Jami Attenberg

Jarvis Miller, a former junkie, makes life choices based on her husband's past. Martin Miller, former painter, lies in a coma after an unfortunate fall. Jarvis's search for acceptance in her "in-between life", neither a single woman, nor a married one, leads her to the local laundromat where she meets three "kept men." She explores life with all of them, learning about herself along the way. When it's time to make a major decision, Jarvis is faced with controversy that multiplies the difficulty of the situation.

Over all, I think this was a good book. It made me think about life and living it as you need to and not how it is expected of you based on other people's perception.

I recommend this book to adults only as there is graphic sexual matter involved.

1 comment:

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Hi Shelly, thanks for posting on my blog! We have a lot in common, I used to work as a secretary in the legal department of a law firm...that was 21 years ago! I always wanted to be a Paralegal at that firm, but also needed a BS, I am a couple hours short of a Assoc Degree. Well, then kids happened and the rest is history. Good for you for going back temping, I did that for awhile and it is very hard as you never know where you are going to be from week to week, but it did pay some bills. Now my 2 oldest are in college and everytime I hear them complain about all the work...I remind them what it is like out there in the big world with a degree! I am getting to sound like my parents everytime!!LOL!!
Anyway, hand piecing is so relaxing for me also, it gets you over the rough spots in life, doesn't it?
Keep on Sewing...
Hugs,
Mary


Powered By Blogger